The Botswana Star Grading System is used to differentiate the various quality levels of accommodation establishments. It facilitates assessments of amenities, facilities and services of accommodation enabling travellers to choose the quality of accommodation they want and ensuring that standards are met. The system is mandatory for all types of enterprises providing accommodation products and services in Botswana.
The system applies objectivity via the grading standards and subjectivity through grading criteria. Combining average scores from these two elements determines whether the establishment is fit for purpose and qualifies for a Star Grading.
The guiding principles for the Botswana Star Grading System are as follows:
- A marketing and quality assurance tool based on internationally recognised ratings.
- Aids accommodation establishments to benchmark performance against Standards.
- Serves as a pledge to maintain quality, standards and service.
- Allows for consumer confidence and choice.
Benefits of Graded Facilities
- Recognised nationally and internationally for commitment to standards and service within the hospitality industry - assisting establishments in positioning their products.
- Display of plaques issued by the Botswana Tourism Organisation.
- Display of grading certificates issued by the Organisation inside their establishments.
- Listing on the Botswana Tourism Organisation website with a hyperlink to the individual property.
- Listed on the annual accommodation guide by location and star rating.
- Participation at the marketing fairs organised by Botswana Tourism Organisation.
Consumer Feedback Programme
The Botswana consumer feedback programme is designed to monitor industry standards. The feedback questionnaires are not designed to compete with internal feedback mechanisms, but rather to compliment such processes. The information captured in the consumer feedback programme is utilised to assist the BTO Quality Assurance Committee in making grading decisions.
The consumer feedback programme is a benefit for graded accommodation and guest participation is voluntary, seeking to obtain objective feedback and inform the grading process.
The key objectives of the programme are as follows:
- Obtain a true understanding of guest experiences;
- Assist in motivating establishments to improvement where necessary;
- Monitor and facilitate comparative analysis of property and industry standards;
- Track of guest trends;
- Provide recognition to the property;
- To provide individual properties with monthly report based on the results of the consumer feedback programme.
Click on the below to download forms: